Candice’s European Tour Diary : Part 3

That next “morning” after the drive home from Cologne, I was woken up by Martin at 1:30pm. Hey Candice we have to be at load in to soundcheck at 3pm. I was so so tired. I could have slept all day. I got up, showered, got ready and we all headed out of the house around 2:30pm. We were really looking forward to this show. Arne organized this show for us at Bahnsen in Marne. Marne is where we had played at the Dithmarsher festival for the 3 previous years in a row. And since we weren’t there for festival season this year, Arne figured out a way for us to play. Bahnsen is a really cool venue. It’s basically a huge hall with a pretty good size stage.
We got to the venue around 3pm and unloaded all the gear. Soundcheck sounded really amazing. And by around 5pm or so, by time we were done with everything it was time to go the restaurant down the street called Bimmel. We went there with Arne, Maike, their son Marius, and our friend Michael who was also doing the sound for the show. Today is Ryan’s birthday, so Maike showed up at the restaurant with a small chocolate marble birthday cake loaded up with candles. I think we all ended up getting steak. I will say that they have some really really good steak in Germany! After dinner we all sang Ryan happy bday, ate the cake, and then walked back over to the venue. Maike and Arne are way too nice…they picked up the bill for the entire band. Seriously I can’t even believe how well they have treated us. Our German family.

When we got back to the venue, people were already hanging outside, waiting for doors to open. We had about a half hour to change and get ready before doors opened at 7pm.
I went to the backstage area/changing room and it was already completely fogged up with cigarette smoke from the other band. Smoking is supposed to be banned indoors in Europe just like in the US, but Germany doesn’t abide by that rule. They just light up everywhere you go. There’s no end to it. I felt kind of like an asshole, but I kindly asked the other band if they could not smoke while we were getting ready. I just wanted one smoke free area to hang out in while getting ready….even if for just a few minutes. They were totally cool about it. I finished getting ready and went in to the main hall to hang out with everyone.

It was really cool to see so many familiar faces, most of them kids that would come see us at Dithmarsher festival previous years. There were many Warner Drive shirts in the crowd, which is always quite flattering. We went on stage around 10:30pm and I hadn’t realized it, but by the time we got off stage we had played for almost 2 hours. It felt more like 30 minutes to me. I guess we were having so much fun that time just flew by.

When we were done, we went to the merch area and took a bunch of pictures with friends and fans. They are so cute in Germany 🙂 ….they don’t ask you if they can take a picture with you, they ask if they can “make a picture”. We “made” many pictures 😛
The rest of the night was spent hanging out with everyone at the bar in the venue. I only had a beer previously but got talked in to having a couple of shots of whiskey because it was Ryan’s birthday. At some point all these random people showed up at the bar and burst in to some kind of German sports jock singing thing. We also hung out backstage for a while with the other bands, some friends and also our German family Arne and Maike. They were taking more shots backstage. I was just hanging out and observing I guess you could say. The singer from one of the other bands was so hammered he couldn’t stand without wobbling and at one point even fell in to one of the partitions is the room, knocking it over.

Eventually we loaded out and went back to our house in Fredrichskoog, about 15 minutes away. It was about 3am or so when we got back and we weren’t ready to go to bed yet. Jonny U and I were hanging out talking when Jonny Law showed up eating out of a bag of olives. He asked Jonny U if he wanted to try one. Of course we were expecting him to say no, but he said ya sure why not. It was like a record stopped and we both said what???really? Jonny U only eats 5 things and he is afraid to try new foods, especially something like an olive! We posted the video on FB already but I was afraid that he would put the olive in his mouth and then spit it back on my bed since we were in my room. He actually chewed and swallowed it. He didn’t like it, but he still ate it! That’s pretty big for Jonny U! After all that excitement I was ready for bed. It was about 4 or 5am and I was pretty beat.

We all got woken up by Martin at 2:30pm. We had to be at Arne and Meike’s at 4pm for cabbage dinner. They made it for us last year and it was soooooooooo good, so we were all pretty excited about that. We had the whole day off and our only job was to eat cabbage. They made steak and potatos for Jonny U because he doesn’t eat cabbage. Nothing else really exciting happened that day….The rest of it was spent hanging out in their living room in a food coma and using their wifi.

We went back to the WD house in the early evening. After hanging out a bit, we started getting bored so we all decided to go for a walk. It was dark and cold, and everything was closed but it was still nice to walk around a check things out. Fredrichskoog is a small seaside tourist town on the North Sea shore. We walked down to the beach…it was so pitch dark that we couldn’t even see where the water started. We almost walked right in to it. Then we climbed to the top of the lookout tower for no good reason really…maybe just because it was there. And then we walked back through the town by all the closed shops and restaurants. Martin and I took turns trying to fit on the little kid merry-go-round rides, and then we went back to the house. Ryan had a bunch of movies on his computer so we watched “300” and then all went to bed.

We really didn’t do anything again today. Another day off. I sometimes like days off but I also hate them because I feel so unproductive. We are also still in Fredrichskoog, which is a cute little town, but there’s not really much to do or see around here. The only thing is the North Sea shore, but that’s about it. We actually had some sun for a few hours today though. Martin woke me up around 9:30am. We were all going back to Arne’s house since Martin had an online class to take on his computer and needed wifi. Ryan had to do work on his computer and the rest of us didn’t really want to stay stuck at the house. Gah…day off.
We had some coffee at the house and then got to Arne’s around 11am. He and his wife were working all day in the grocery store downstairs. The one nice thing is that we had wifi. There is one crucial question everyone asks when we make it to
the next town or venue: “Is there wifi here?” Unfortunately it’s the only way to keep in touch with friends and family and the rest of the outside world when you’re on the road….at least the only affordable way. So sometimes I feel like a total douche when I’m like hey cool nice to meet you….so what’s your wifi code…
After about an hour of all the wifi I could handle, Martin and I went to grab some lunch at a small seaside restaurant about 5 minutes walking distance. We both had fish and salad…it was a nice change since we have been eating a lot of pork, steak and potatoes in Germany. Im not complaining 😛 but I think I needed to eat something else.
We walked back to the house after lunch and then fell asleep on the couch for a couple hours. I guess Jonny U and Carl had gone to another friend’s house in the meantime to collect some herbal self-medication for themselves. I guess we are going to have dinner in about an hour or so. Pasta 🙂 In the meantime, I was able to do some laundry. When you are at home, laundry is an annoying chore, but when you are on the road, it’s a priceless luxury. We had dinner around 7pm and then headed out at 8pm to meet with our friend Michael, who wanted to game plan a 3 week tour of Germany next year. I’m glad we are already planning for next year.

After our meeting we went back to the Warner Drive HQ in Fredrichskoog, hung out and watched some TV. On German TV, they overdub all the movies in German and write German subtitles on top of that. Whereas in other countries they will usually leave English movies in English and put their language’s subtitles. So we watched German on German tv for a bit. After I had had enough of that I went in to my room to go to bed and for the second night in a row, I found Jonny Law smashing mosquitos against the wall. There were now so many plastered up on the wall that we laughed at how many there were, but then wondered how they were getting in. I don’t know, but it just seemed weird to me that in the fall when it was cold and raining that there would be so many. And then I realized that the window/door in our room that went to the outside patio had been slightly ajar this whole time. I hadn’t realized it because it is covered by a large curtain. The only reason I noticed was because it was windy that night and because of that the curtain was a little pushed out. That also explained why it had been so cold in our room this whole time. I guess Jonny U had gone through that door the other day and hadn’t closed it properly. Mystery solved. Now I can go to to sleep.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *